Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Story

Things continue to go well here at camp. Even though the days can be long sometimes it's amazing at how fast time flies by. For instance, today we were cooking biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs and all of us were amazed it had already been a week since we last cooked that same meal. With the time flying by, the reality is that we only have about a month left of our internship here at Timber Wolf Lake. And, this leads to only five weeks from me moving down to Georgia to work at Sharp Top Cove for a year. This is just crazy to me.

Thoughts of SharpTop and my arrival coming closer and closer makes me a little nervous to be honest.Yes, I am still very excited about my next internship. But, I know that I'll be stepping out of my comfort zone, which can be scary for anybody. I have come to realize that humans in general tend to stay close to the walls of safety and security whenever possible. What I'm learning though is that by not taking steps away from the "wall," I may be missing out on a bigger and better story.

Right now I've been reading through a book by Donald Miller called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" along with our men's intern group. Miller's writing has been timely to me as I start looking ahead to an unknown future in the abstract world of post-college life. Miller writes how taking steps away from comfort and security can lead to challenges, stress, and opposition. In itself this may seem like a bad thing. But, really when it comes down to it, what movie have you enjoyed that had the main character live a non-challenging, comfortable life? Instead, any good movie has the protagonist have a goal in mind, and has to overcome great odds, challenges, etc. to reach that goal point.

So, what is my goal in life? Ha, I'm not sure I can sum an answer up for you in a short blog post. And, that's not necessarily because it would be incredibly long. But, more because I'm still trying to figure it out. However, I can tell you that with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength I want to serve God throughout my life. I believe I can do this by serving and encouraging people, which leads me to my current adventure in Young Life. I'm hoping that as my journey unfolds at SharpTop, God will continue to make clear the plans he has for me. And, I pray that God will give me courage and strength to take hold of the story of adventure he wants me to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment