Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Welcome to Timber Wolf Lake!

















Hey everyone! Yesterday I arrived safely to Timber Wolf Lake and it is definitely great to be back here. The weather the last couple of days has been very nice. Besides the sunshine, yesterday was a good move in day. Not too much scheduled except for dinner. Just a nice time to unpack, go for a short run, meet new people, and get some sleep before the next day arrived.

Today was that next day and it started early with my arrival in the kitchen at 6am. This will become a regular routine for me each day as I am the AM Intern Cook. Usually I can function pretty well in the morning, but it will probably take a few days of adjusting until my body is use to the schedule here.

The early mornings though really aren't that bad. I'm so excited about my job here. What makes it great is the people I will be working with. Our three kitchen staff bosses are amazing. Nate is the food service manager here at camp and his wife just had their second child two days ago! I'm looking forward to Nate's arrival back at camp in the next few days. Along with Nate on staff in the kitchen are Jessica and John. They both have such incredible attitudes (Nate is in the same category here too, as I met him last year). As Victoria (PM Intern, Paul (Floater Intern), Ellie (Baking Intern), and myself (AM intern) met with Jess and John they encouraged us so much for this upcoming summer. Over and over again they reassured us that they don't want this summer to be about work. Instead we should have the mindset of serving. Similarly, our focus as a staff is not all about food (seems odd for a kitchen, right?) Instead, food is just an avenue used to allow kids to meet Jesus Christ! The rest is just details.

Also, I think one of my fears, which I learned is shared by the other interns, is that I'm going to mess something up in the kitchen. This kind of goes along with the attitude posted above. I need to make sure that my focus is not on making everything is perfect as I prepare food. Mistakes are going to happen and believe it or not it won't be the end of the world. Instead, I must keep my mind and heart on Christ and the relationships around me. Also, allowing myself to have fun in this internship is a priority. Afterall, it's not work, it's an opportunity to serve and show Christ through my actions!

So, things seem to be getting off to a great start. I'm excited to continue getting to know the other interns around me and learning more about the ways of the kitchen. Above you will find some pictures to enjoy of my first day here. The first one is of my new home here at TWL (The Swamp!) followed by one of camp, one of the guys lounge area of the Swamp, and then the last one is a peak into our room full of bunk beds (I'm on the top bunk straight ahead).

Thanks for your support! Feel free to keep in touch with me by e-mail, facebook, blog, phone, or snail mail (definitely the best option for an intern at camp all summer ! =) My address here at camp is:

Intern Brandon Tschirhart
Young Life Timber Wolf Lake
4909 North Morey Road
Lake City, MI 49651

No comments:

Post a Comment